Friday 21 August 2009

That Girl

I have just finished reading 'Frenemies' by Megan Crane, my mum picked it up from the library for me as a bit of light reading for a break from researching my dissertation. I turned out to be utterly brilliant, I started reading it late last night and have just finished it at 1.02 pm, I didn't even stop for breakfast. The protagonist Gus, a 29 year old living in Boston, reminded me of myself in a way no other character ever has before.
There was one part of the novel that really got me thinking, Gus had many issues with a long standing friend who steals her boyfriend. This friend is That Girl, I'm sure every girl knows who that is, the one girl who we think is amazing, who is nothing like we are but everything we want to be. I have had several That Girls in my life who I have had major girl crushes on. I will spend ages looking at their pictures on Facebook and wishing I had their figure, their ability to get the guys I wish I could get and even in extreme moments thinking about taking up smoking so that I can look as 'cool' as they do.
In 'Frenemies' it turns out that That Girl thinks that Gus is in fact also That Girl, so what if those girls in my life feel that way about me? Or, because I'm sure they hardly even know I exist maybe other girls want to be like me. I'm sure nobody wants to look like me, although I think I can look quite pretty and my figure is quite curvy (read: wobbly) there are lots of people who are much more gorgeous then me. The Boss once told me that I am ugly, but have a great personality and that that makes me ok. I know he doesn't think that I am ugly, not only because he has slept with me several times but because he has told my friends that I'm hot. But I actually agree with him about the great personality, its not that often that I get lots of attention from guys when I am out, but I have had and still have quite a few friends who have crushes on me. At the moment there is Stigg and a friend from school who is getting quite full on. The point is, the book made me look at myself a realise that I don't need to diet and wear tiny skirts to be happy, I am happy in who I am and because of that other people see my confidence and I become more attractive to them.
I ma sure that just by being who I am I am already somebodies That Girl and who knows, maybe its somebody that I already have a girl crush.

No comments:

Post a Comment